- May 8, 2019
- 1:30 pm
- Senior Outreach Services, 373 Adamston Road, Brick, NJ 08723
Wednesday, May 8 at 1:30pm at the Brick Senior Center. This event is open to all.
The 15 Minute Child Break presentation is a one-hour multimedia program that informs, encourages and empowers parents, grandparents, educators, coaches and other adult caregivers about how to communicate effectively with children about the misuse and abuse of alcohol and other drugs. The presentation includes up-to-date statistics on drug and alcohol use and public service announcements that cover various types of drugs used by children.
The Child Break presentation was established as a result of research done by PDFNJ which demonstrated that children who have regular communication with parents about daily activities are 67 percent less likely to be involved in substance abuse than children who have little or no communication. Additionally, the American Academy of Pediatrics has recently promoted guidelines encouraging parents to talk to their children about this issue as early as age 9.
The following topics are covered in the presentation:
- Underage Drinking
- Marijuana Use
- Abuse of Prescription & OTC Medications
- Influence of Media and Pop Culture
- Effects of Specific Drugs
- Identifying Risk & Protective Factors
- Strengthening Parenting & Communication Skills
- Utilizing Teachable Moments