Medicare has started mailing of new Medicare card to all beneficiaries in New Jersey!
- New number called MEDICARE BENEFICIARY IDENTIFIER (MBI)
- 11 characters, mix of letters and numbers
- Random number -not associated with SSA number, or how collecting benefits
REMINDERS FOR CLIENTS:
- New cards are FREE. Beware of scams asking for money or bank information over the phone related to the new cards.
- Mailing will take time. Your card may arrive at a different time than your friend or neighbor.
- Make sure your mailing address is up to date. Contact Social Security to check at 1-800-772-1213 or ssa.gov/myaccount.
- Only your Medicare number is changing. Your Social Security number stays the same. Keep any insurance cards you have from your Medigap, Part D, Medicare Advantage or retiree health plans.
- Your Medicare coverage and benefits will stay the same.
- Start using your new card as soon as you get it.
- Beginning January 1, 2020, you can only use the new Medicare card and new number.
- Be sure to destroy your old red, white, and blue Medicare card.
- Health care providers can look up your new Medicare number if you forget your card.