• Does the Township require a Certificate of Occupancy (C/O) for a rental property?

    Yes, all residential properties require a C/O every time there is a new tenant. The owner must file as a registered landlord through the Twp. Clerk’s office and pass a thorough inspection conducted by a Code Enforcement Officer. There is a $100.00 application fee. The rental compliance checklist and application can be obtained from the Code Enforcement Office.

  • Is a Certificate of Occupancy required for the resale of a residential home?

    No, The Township does not require a C/O inspection. However, the Bureau of Fire Safety does require a fire inspection. Please contact the Bureau at 732-458-4100

  • How do I pay for a Certificate of Occupancy?

    We only accept CASH , CHECK, or MONEY ORDERS.

  • Does the Township have an ordinance for tall weeds and grass?

    Yes, properties within the Township must maintain the weed and grass growth. The ordinance requires weeds and grass not to exceed 10” in height.

  • Does the rental property (home) need to be completely empty of all items in order to get a rental C/O inspection?

    Yes, unless it is being rented furnished, which must be indicated at time of application, all furniture and personal items must be removed before it can be inspected.    

  • Can an unregistered vehicle be parked on a residential property?

    No, at no time can an unregistered vehicle be parked anywhere on a residential property unless it is in an enclosed structure such as a garage.

  • Can a boat on a trailer be stored on a residential property including the lawn area?

    Yes, a registered boat and trailer can be parked on the property but must be located as to not create a view obstruction for vehicular and pedestrian traffic.

  • Where can a dumpster be located when work is being done to a home?

    A dumpster can be placed anywhere on the property as long as it does not create a view obstruction for vehicular and pedestrian traffic. A dumpster can NEVER be placed in the street at any time for any reason. An overflowing dumpster is also a violation of the code.

  • I would like to report a violation but can I remain anonymous?

    Yes, if you would like to file a complaint or report a violation that can be done anonymously.

  • Do I need to have my address posted on my property?

    Yes, permanent address identification numbers must be installed on the front of each building to allow for quick identification by emergency vehicles.

  • Do I, as a homeowner, need to shovel the ice and snow off of my sidewalk?

    Yes, it is the responsibility of the homeowner to maintain the property up to the face of the curb or edge of pavement if a curb does not exist. This would include but not limited to shoveling snow and ice off of the sidewalk. (Exemption-Owners and tenants abutting or bordering upon the sidewalks of any cul-de-sac or dead end street shall be exempt from the snow and ice removal requirement. 404-15c)